Monday, December 18, 2006

Ruqaya Al Ghasara Wins 200m Gold

Ruqaya Al-Ghasara from Bahrain, the first ever female Muslim athlete in a full hijab I saw who can win a gold medal in a major event. She clocked the 200-meters in 23.19 seconds in Doha 15th Asian Games. I guess, if not wearing the full Muslim headscarf, probably she would have run even faster. Anyway, Congrats!
She ran alongside half naked women, but Ruqaya Al Ghasara did not want to compromise sharia regulations for a few gold medals more. Well, maybe a little since her red running pants weren´t exactly sharia compliant, at least not from my maliki point of view... but who am I to throw my fiqh upon this marvelous Muslim sister?!

"I have no problems with the hijab," said Al Ghasara, who showed her talent in winning the West Asian 100m title last year also in Doha. "I have a great desire to show that there are no problems with wearing these clothes. Wearing a veil proves that Muslim women face no obstacles and encourages them to compete in sport."

Salah satu contoh tauladan terbaik buat wanita-wanita Islam Malaysia.

0 comments:

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites